Tuesday, September 22, 2026

 A literatures confront. Poe, Manzoni, Dostoevskij, Byron

Poe

Dostoevskij

Manzoni

Byron

Manzoni: I think that we can begin from a your book, at last I think, but I accept your choose.

Poe: I would begin trough my History of Arthur Gordon Pym, and I would beg…

Dostoevskij: You want begin with nothing and there also finish and stop.

Poe: Why? Do you didn’t like my History?

Dostoevskij: certainly it is very great book, but I have read it two times and I have read about everything but the history I haven’t read; as Picasso that after visited a exposition of Impressionist painters said “I have seen the rain, the clouds and the sun, but the painting lacked”

Poe: Hence Gordon Pym isn’t you preferred.

Dostoevskij: No certainly.

Poe: Why?

Dostoevskij: because it is useless, it doesn’t tells nothing and the plot is very useless.

Poe: Also your Demons is long and boring, or not?

Dostoevskij: Yes, it is very long and boring and much boring.

Poe: But the editor has payed you?

Dostoevskij: Yes, he has payed me because I have written in Dresden, Germany.

Poe: And the editor has payed you.

Dostoevskij: I repeat, yes he has payed me, but why it is interesting for you?

Poe: Because it wasn’t useless, some sake it has had, although boring and long.

Dostoevskij: But the man of literature isn’t for the gain alone…

Poe(shutting up him): We have written for this too, the first was the passion but the passion doesn’t gives the food.

Dostoevskij: Yes but I haven’t begun to write because I have thought of gain, because I am Russian, and in my country very low know read; hence the writer can’t gain trough the romances.

Poe: In fact every man of literature has searched an employ for his matter, and when it wasn’t he has entered to court.

Dostoevskij: You are thinking to Italian Renaissance and we can ask it to Manzoni. Alexander the literature man in Italy have entered to the court?

Manzoni: Certainly, it is enough read the De commodis litterarum atque incommodes, where the author, Leon Battista Alberti, has told about the nobleness of knowledge and the hard life of the man of literature. And he has told about the poverty of men of literature that hasn’t a court.

Poe: Alexander do you like some my book, or do you have same opinion of Fëdor?

Manzoni: My think about your Gordon Pym is same of Fëdor, but the your novel the pendulum is very famous and it merits this success, because it is very involving, it take the interest and it is important for the writer, involve the interest; in fact the long romances are dispersive, and very soon the reader is going to be boring.

Dostoevskij: Do you have written a romance?

Manzoni: Yes, The promise bride and bridegroom.

Poe: And do you have been long?

Manzoni: Sometime yes, but my cultural tradition, and the Italy has very much, has taught to me that the history must be variegated, but a plot must be ever present because the writer, after a digression, he must turn to the principal history, that is fundament of the romance.

Dostoevskij: Inasmuch do you let that are digressions?

Manzoni: Certainly, but these digressions must be after that the writer has told  the principal history, otherwise the reader not understand where is the principal core, that must be explained trough more pages, and after are possible the digressions, but not certainly long, some page is enough. But other hostess is present, George Byron what is your opinion?

Byron: I was thinking to my Childhood memories: “When the slow infirmity with its series of worries freeze the blood in the veins; when the healthy stayed its wings and it escapes for the first breeze of spring, when it occurs not alone the body alone that suffers, but the atrocious tortures oppressive also the soul.

Poe: Very well.

Manzoni: can I ask what is it?

Byron: My Childhood memories!

Manzoni: I believe it but when do you explain it?

Dostoevskij: I have read your Childhood memories; I think that it is alone a poetical try but very modest.

Manzoni: Because that these are the your childhood memories is incomprehensible, may we can intuit, but not from your text.

Byron: It is written to poetical verses.

Manzoni Yes but it lacks the argument, and it is important so that the reader can understand what he is reading. It is important for the reader so that he doesn’t bore.

Poe: But The deformed transformed is rational or not Alexander what do you think?

Manzoni: Yes it is rational.

Byron: Why do you think it?

Manzoni: Because when the ghost appears to the Arnold, that wanted suicide, he says: “If I was the devil, as you believe, one alone moment and the your suicide would have to me soon; but I have stopped you hence I have save you”; it is rational think and I think that it is unique rational tragedy that you have written.

Byron: More than rational it is very sophisticated, because it means, trough the exhibition of souls, of heroes and other, that the man want be somebody that he isn’t; in fact to the following words is the truth: “But you my puppet, you would appear rather than to be a heroes”; it is celebration or appearance. The step when the ghost gone to body of Arnold and he says: “Clay not died, but without soul, although nobody has chosen you, and immortal accepts you…”.

Manzoni: But I don’t see nothing that can be important.

Byron: Instead something of important is present; because it the critic to a English society of 19th century, the clay is the English man that can be shaped from the society, because his personality isn’t. Other of this tragedy is very low.

Manzoni: I am catholic and I want give to you my compliment for the defense of Catholic elected and your discourse “On the motion of count Donoughmore, and you have defended the Catholic.

Byron: Not precisely I have find the wit of my nation, this is England that is merchant wit hence about religion has disinterest absolute. 

 

Alessandro Lusana







No comments:

Post a Comment

  A literatures confront. Poe, Manzoni, Dostoevskij, Byron Poe Dostoevskij Manzoni Byron Manzoni: I think that we can begin from a...